Last updated on May 20th, 2021 at 10:48 am
What is Arquivo.pt?
Arquivo.pt preserves millions of files collected from the web since 1996 and provides a public search service over this information. It contains information in several languages.
Millions of web pages are published daily. However, after a short notice, the vast majority of this information becomes unavailable and is irreparably lost.
The Arquivo.pt Award aims to annually promote innovative works based on the historical information preserved by Arquivo.pt.
The works must be practical applications or studies based on the information accessible through Arquivo.pt, which demonstrate the usefulness of this public service and the importance of preserving the information published online.
Works can focus on topics from any field (e.g. Education, History, Sociology, Communication, Health or Computer Science).
A careful consultation of the following criteria is essential for a successful application:
- Arquivo.pt Award 2021 Regulation (in Portuguese)
- Notice about the Arquivo.pt Award 2021 (in Portuguese)
- Technical requirements of the video
- Document template for the description document (.docx) (in Portuguese)
The works can focus on any theme, as long as Arquivo.pt is used as the main source of information.
Applications for the Award must clearly demonstrate the usefulness of Arquivo.pt for the presented work.
Who can apply?
The submitted works can be developed individually or as a team. In both cases, the application will be submitted on behalf of a single responsible individual.
Works that were not awarded on previous editions can be submitted again.
Values of the Awards
- 1st place: 10 000 €
- 2nd place: 3 000 €
- 3rd place: 2 000 €
May 4th, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. (Lisbon time)
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted in Portuguese using an online form and include:
- a short Description of the work following the template (max. 2 000 words excluding captions and bibliography)
- a short Video following the technical requirements (max. 3 minutes)
Applications must be submitted through the following form:
Publication and dissemination of submitted projects
Submitted projects may be published without compensation. But authorship will be always guaranteed (Creative Commons Attribution By-Law).
- Alfredo Ramalho – Information Science
- Celso Martinho – Computer Science
- Miguel Avillez – Astrophysics
- Teresa Firmino – Communication of Science
The jury can request face-to-face presentations of the works. These presentations will take place at FCT-FCCN (Av. Do Brasil 101, Lisbon, Portugal). Alternatively, they can be performed remotely over the Internet.
The Jury will nominate only the top 3 winners, and no ratings will be published for the remaining works.
- Technical quality of the application (clarity, presentation, structure)
- Originality and innovation
- Maturity of the work
- Social impact (application and societal impact)
- Scientific impact (application and scientific impact)
- Relevance of Arquivo.pt usage
Release date for results
The Arquivo.pt Award will be delivered during the National Science Summit 2021.
Useful references about Arquivo.pt
- Previous editions of the Arquivo.pt Award
- Page search
- Image search
- APIs for automatic processing
- Common questions
- Technical and scientific publications
- Slide for presentations (also in English)
- Poster (size A2) – PDF, JPEG
- FCT Press release
- Arquivo.pt promotional video (MP4)
- Official announcement on FCT website
- Radio spot (MP4) (WAV)
- Images for social networks or websites (also in English)
- Short link to this page: arquivo.pt/award2021
- Open applications to the Arquivo.pt Award 2021!
- Meet the winners of the Arquivo.pt Award 2020!
- News about the previous editions of the Arquivo.pt Awards
Media Partner Público newspaper
The Público newspaper is the official media partner of the Arquivo.pt Award 2021.
Honorable Mention Público Newspaper
The Público newspaper will also award an Honorable Mention to one of the works submitted to the Arquivo.pt Award which focused on the historical web-archive of Público online.
This distinction includes two years of subscription of Público online.
High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic
Arquivo.pt Award 2021 is under the High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.