Last updated on June 2nd, 2021 at 11:11 am
Advanced image search parameter description with explanation of the available options
Related to these words:
- Objective: Search for images related to all words, regardless of the distance between them in text.
- Operator: No operator. Enter words separated by spaces.
- Example: Portugal beaches
Related to this expression or phrase:
- Objective: Search for images related to an exact phrase.
- Operator: Double quotes (“) at the end of the phrase.
- Example: group draw “euro 2016”
Not related with these words:
- Objective: Exclude images that are related with given words from the results.
- Operator: Minus sign (-) before the word to be excluded.
- Example: university lisbon faculty -sciences
- Objective: Search images archived within a particular time interval.
- Operator: No operator. Enter date in dd/mm/yyyy (e.g.: 24/12/1996) or click on the calendar miniature to select date.
- Example: search images related to the words european elections that have been archived between 02/05/2014 and 29/11/2014
- Objective: Search images published in a particular format.
- Operator: type: followed by the desired format: jpg, png, gif, bmp or webp.
- Example: cat type:gif
- Objective: Search images published in a particular size.
- Operator: size: followed by the desired size: small (sm), medium (md) or large (lg)
- Example: Cristiano Ronaldo size:lg
5. Safe search
- Objective: Enable or disable Not Safe for Work (NSFW) search result filter.
- Operator: safe: followed by on (default) or off
- Example: sexy safe:off
- Objective: Search images from a particular web site.
- Operator: site: followed by the address of the desired website. You can add multiple websites separated by commas.
- Example: research site:www.igc.gulbenkian.pt,www.fraunhofer.pt