Last updated on November 23rd, 2023 at 12:40 pm
Daniel Gomes started Arquivo.pt (the Portuguese web-archive) in 2007 as follow-up of his PhD thesis and currently leads this public service.
He is a researcher in web archiving and web-based information systems since 2001. He obtained is PhD in Computer Science with a thesis focused on the design of large-scale systems for the processing of web data.
Daniel Gomes was the chief-editor of the book The Past Web: exploring web archives.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- ORCiD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5447-4581
- Social networks: LinkedIn, Google Scholar, Twitter, YouTube
- Full CV
- PhD in Informatics Engineering by the University of Lisbon (2007).
- Graduated in Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, specialized in Information Systems (2001).
- Arquivo.pt in the life cycle of a website (in Portuguese), 2023
- Arquivo.pt as a cybersecurity tool (in Portuguese), 2023
- Building a Web-Archive Image Search Service at Arquivo.pt, 2023
- Web archives as research infrastructure for digital societies: the case study of Arquivo.pt, 2022
- Archiving the Web as Public Service, 2022
- The Past Web: exploring web archives (video), 2021
- Preservação Digital. Arquivos online ou do online?, 2021
- A transnational crawl of the European Parliamentary Elections 2019, 2020.
- Arquivo.pt: o papel da Preservação Digital na Ciência Aberta, 2020
- The Anatomy of a Web Archive Image Search Engine, 2021
- MementoMap Framework for Flexible and Adaptive Web Archive Profiling (presentation), 2019
- The Curious Case of Archiving .eu, 2019
- Web preservation demands access, 2017
- Is my web archive usable?, 2016
- The Evolution of Web Archiving, 2016
- Preserving Websites Of Research & Development Projects, (presentation), 2016
- The Importance of Web Archives for Humanities, 2014
- Encontra páginas antigas da Internet em Arquivo.pt (The Portuguese web-archive explained to children), 2012
- A survey on web archiving initiatives (presentation, poster, video), 2011
- Web Not For All: A Large Scale Study of Web Accessibility, (presentation), 2010
- Trends in Web characteristics, 2009
- The Viúva Negra crawler: an experience report, 2008
- Introducing the Portuguese web archive initiative, (presentation), 2008
- Web Modelling for Web Warehouse Design (presentation), 2007
- Design and Selection Criteria for a National Web Archive (presentation), 2006
- Modelling Information Persistence on the Web (presentation) 2006
- Characterizing a National Community Web, 2005
- A Deposit for Digital Collections, 2001
Selected talks and interviews
- Arquivo.pt behind the curtains (slides), 2023
- How to research governmental web data? (slides), 2023
- Timeline summarization for large-scale past-web events with Python: the case of Arquivo.pt, 2022
- Arquivo.pt as open data provider, 2022
- Challenges and Recommendations to start a web archive, 2021
- Arquivo.pt (podcast 1/0), 2020
- Buscando el pasado con Arquivo.pt, 2020
- Access policies, challenges and approaches (slides), 2019
- Tutorial: Research the Past Web using Web archives (slides), 2019
- Tutorial on using web archives for research, 2018
- Arquivo.pt: a case study interview, 2019
- Arquivo.pt e preservação do conteúdo brasileiro, 2019
- Arquivo.pt Memorial and other goodies, 2019
- Improving the robustness of the Arquivo.pt web archive, 2016
- Preservation of web information about the Charlie Hebdo attack, 2016
- Web Archive Information Retrieval, 2015
- Wiki não é uma tecnologia, é uma atitude, 2014
- Análise de requisitos e controlo de qualidade no desenvolvimento de sites – Uma cábula rápida, 2013
- Surfer and environmental activist. He founded the Tara Recuperável civic movement which acts to improve environmental awareness in Portugal.