Last updated on October 23rd, 2023 at 05:39 pm
Arquivo.pt preserves millions of files collected from the web since 1996 and provides a public search service over this information. It contains information in several languages.
Millions of web pages are published daily. However, after a short notice, the vast majority of this information becomes unavailable and is irreparably lost.
The Arquivo.pt Award aims to annually promote innovative works based on the historical information preserved by Arquivo.pt.
The works must be practical applications or studies based on the information accessible through Arquivo.pt, which demonstrate the usefulness of this public service and the importance of preserving the information published online.
Works can focus on topics from any field (e.g. Education, History, Sociology, Communication, Health or Computer Science).
A careful consultation of the following criteria is essential for a successful application:
- Arquivo.pt Award 2023 Regulation (in Portuguese)
- Notice about the Arquivo.pt Award 2023 (in Portuguese)
- Technical requirements of the video
- Document template for the description document (.docx) (in Portuguese)
The works can focus on any theme, as long as Arquivo.pt is used as the main source of information.
Applications for the Award must clearly demonstrate the usefulness of Arquivo.pt for the presented work.
Who can apply?
The submitted works can be developed individually or as a team. In both cases, the application will be submitted on behalf of a single responsible individual.
Works that were not awarded on previous editions can be submitted again.
- 1st place: 10 000 €
- 2nd place: 3 000 €
- 3rd place: 2 000 €
Honorable Mention Público Newspaper
The Público newspaper will also award an Honorable Mention to one of the works submitted to the Arquivo.pt Award which focused on the historical web-archive of Público online.
This award includes a two-year subscription to Público online.
Honorable Mention AMCC – Aveiro Media Competence Center
The Aveiro Media Competence Center (AMCC) will additionally award an Honorable Mention to one of the submitted papers that focuses on the web archive of one or several century-old newspapers available online.
This award includes the following AMCC Kit:
- 3 vouchers of 1-year subscriptions to online news publications (Expresso, Visão and Turbo) for each of the team members (max 5 members).
- 2 collection books.
- Special guest presentation during the National Press Day 2023 Event including national travel and accommodation for 2 people.
May 4th, 2023 at 1:00 p.m. (Lisbon time)
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted in Portuguese using an online form and include:
- a short Description of the work following the template (max. 2 000 words excluding captions and bibliography)
- a short Video following the technical requirements (max. 3 minutes)
Applications must be submitted through the following form:
Publication and dissemination of submitted projects
Submitted projects may be published without compensation. But authorship will be always guaranteed (Creative Commons Attribution By-Law).
- Dora dos Santos Silva (Digital Media)
- João Palmeiro (Information Science)
- Paulo Malta (Innovation & Technology
- Pedro Brinca (Economy)
- Teresa Firmino (Communication of Science)
- Zita Martins (Astrobiology)
The jury can request face-to-face presentations of the works. These presentations will take place at FCT-FCCN (Av. Do Brasil 101, Lisbon, Portugal). Alternatively, they can be performed remotely over the Internet.
The Jury will nominate only the top 3 winners, and no ratings will be published for the remaining works.
- Technical quality of the application (clarity, presentation, structure)
- Originality and innovation
- Maturity of the work
- Social impact (application and societal impact)
- Scientific impact (application and scientific impact)
- Relevance of Arquivo.pt usage
Release date for results
The Arquivo.pt Award will be announced during the Ciência 2023 event, which will take place between July 5 and 7.
Useful references about Arquivo.pt
- Previous editions of the Arquivo.pt Award
- Presentation of Arquivo.pt Award and question answering (video, slides)
- Page and image search
- APIs for automatic processing
- Open data on Dados.gov.pt
- Technical and scientific publications
- Official announcement
- Slide for presentations
- Background image for videocalls
- Poster (size A2): PDF, JPEG
- Images for social networks or websites
- Short link to this page: arquivo.pt/award2023
Only in Portuguese
- Radio spot (WAV)
- Flyer (print, size A5)
- Press release
- Promotional video vertical (MP4)
- Arquivo.pt promotional video (MP4, 56 seconds)
- Meet the winners of the Arquivo.pt Award 2023!
- Prepare a work for the Arquivo.pt Award 2023!
- Meet the winners of the Arquivo.pt Award 2022
- News about the previous editions of the Arquivo.pt Awards
Media Partner Público newspaper
The Público newspaper is the official media partner of the Arquivo.pt Award 2023.
High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic
Arquivo.pt Award 2023 is under the High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.