Last updated on November 2nd, 2020 at 03:57 pm
What is Arquivo.pt?
Arquivo.pt preserves millions of files collected from the web since 1996 and provides a public search service over this information. It contains information in several languages.
Millions of web pages are published daily. However, after a short notice, the vast majority of this information becomes unavailable and is irreparably lost.
The Arquivo.pt Award aims to annually promote innovative works based on the historical information preserved by Arquivo.pt.
The works must be practical applications or studies based on the information accessible through Arquivo.pt, which demonstrate the usefulness of this public service and the importance of preserving the information published online.
Works can focus on topics from any field (e.g. Education, History, Sociology, Communication, Health or Computer Science).
A careful consultation of the following criteria is essential for a successful application:
- Arquivo.pt Award 2020 Regulation in Portuguese
- Notice about the Arquivo.pt Award 2020 (in Portuguese)
- Technical requirements of the video
- Document template for the description document (.docx) (in Portuguese)
The works can focus on any theme, as long as Arquivo.pt is used as the main source of information.
Applications for the Award must clearly demonstrate the usefulness of Arquivo.pt for the presented work.
Who can apply?
The submitted works can be developed individually or as a team. In both cases, the application will be submitted on behalf of a single responsible individual.
Values of the Awards
- 1st place: 10 000 €
- 2nd place: 3 000 €
- 3rd place: 2 000 €
May 4th, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. (Lisbon time)
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted in Portuguese using an online form and include:
- a short Description of the work following the template (max. 2 000 words excluding captions and bibliography)
- a short Video following the technical requirements (max. 3 minutes)
Applications must be submitted through the following form:
Publication and dissemination of submitted projects
Submitted projects may be published without compensation. But authorship will be always guaranteed (Creative Commons Attribution By-Law).
- Helena Freitas – Biology
- Maria Beatriz Marques – Information Science
- Miguel Fontes – Sociology and Management
- Paulo Bastos – Communication and Technology
- Teresa Firmino – Communication of Science
The jury can request face-to-face presentations of the works. These presentations will take place at FCT-FCCN (Av. Do Brasil 101, Lisbon, Portugal). Alternatively, they can be performed remotely over the Internet.
The Jury will nominate only the top 3 winners, and no ratings will be published for the remaining works.
- Technical quality of the application (clarity, presentation, structure)
- Originality and innovation
- Maturity of the work
- Social impact (application and societal impact)
- Scientific impact (application and scientific impact)
- Relevance of Arquivo.pt usage
Release date for results
The Arquivo.pt Award 2020 will be delivered during the National Science Summit 2020 in November.
Useful references about Arquivo.pt
- Previous editions of the Arquivo.pt Award
- Page search
- Image search
- APIs for automatic processing
- Common questions
- Technical and scientific publications
Promotional materials (in Portuguese)
- Poster to disseminate the Arquivo.pt Award 2020
- Flyer (size A5 to print both sides)
- Flyer (size A4 to print both sides)
- FCT Press release
- Arquivo.pt Award 2020 promotional video (MP4)
- Official announcement on FCT website
- Radio spot (MP4) (WAV)
- Infographics for social networks or websites to disseminate Arquivo.pt Award 2020 (JPEG images in Portuguese and English)
- Short link to this page: arquivo.pt/award2020
- Arquivo.pt Award 2020 launched at Público Newspaper
- Applications open to the Arquivo.pt Award 2020!
- News published by Público about the Arquivo.pt Award 2020 (in Portuguese)
- News about the previous edition of the Arquivo.pt Award (2019)
- Meet the winners of the Arquivo.pt Award 2020!
Media Partner Público newspaper
The Público newspaper is the official media partner of the Arquivo.pt Award 2020.
Honorable Mention Público Newspaper
Público was one of the first Portuguese newspaper to have an online presence and will celebrate its 30th anniversary on March 5th, 2020.
The Público newspaper will also award an Honorable Mention to one of the works submitted to the Arquivo.pt Award 2020 which focused on the historical web-archive of Público online.
This distinction will include an annual subscription of Público online.
High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic
Arquivo.pt Award 2020 is under the High Patronage of the President of the Portuguese Republic Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.