Last updated on April 13th, 2021 at 10:36 am
Objectives of Arquivo.pt – the Portuguese web-archive
The creation of Arquivo.pt represents a historic milestone in the preservation of knowledge for future generations.
With the creation of a system that supports regular crawls of the Portuguese web, its long term storage and access, it provides the following services:
- Page and image historical search: enables research over historical web-archived content over the years related to certain terms;
- URL historical search: enables the investigation of several versions of the historical content obtained from a given URL;
- Research infrastructure for Big Data (temporal web analytics): it allows researchers to execute their programs over the archived web data using the Arquivo.pt APIs.
We also aim to contribute to:
- Train human resources in web archiving so that it may become common awareness that the information in digital format on the Web is a valuable heritage that must be preserved;
- Contribute to increase the number of domains registered under .PT, the free preservation of the information published under this domain is an additional benefit for its registrars;
- Publish scientific and technical papers that enable the sharing of the acquired knowledge and receiving feedback from the community regarding the work performed.